Whether you’re off on a weekend road trip or just going about your daily routine, you’ve got places to go and people to meet. Your trusty car is so much more than just what gets you from here to there. No time to spare for getting sidetracked if something breaks down. We’ve pulled together a few ideas that help you stay safe and happy if you get lost, stuck on the side of the road, or hit with an attack of the hangries.
1. Spare tire, jack, & tire iron. They usually come with the car . . . but check to make sure you know where to find them, just in case.
2. Tire sealant. Sounds so boring but you can whip out a can to fix a flat in no time.
3. Jumper cables. Because you don’t want to be stuck in a parking lot all night.
4. Flashlight. A dedicated one, not just your phone. You may need your phone’s power to play games while you wait for the tow truck.
5. Maps. The day your GPS takes you to a dead-end road on the top of a mountain, then quits working (true story), you’ll be glad you have a backup.
6. Flares/reflective triangles. To help cars see and avoid you when you’re stuck on the side of the road playing games on your phone while waiting for the tow truck.
7. Umbrella. Because rain has a way of coming down at the most inconvenient times.
8. Walking shoes. You would look fabulous walking to the gas station in your Jimmy Choo’s but you can spare your feet by keeping an old pair of comfy shoes in the trunk.
9. Blanket. If it’s cold you can bundle up in it; if it’s warm you can whip it out for a picnic.
10. Snacks & Water Bottles. Think something fairly non-perishable, like protein bars, in case you get stuck in a storm, have to wait for that tow truck, or are running from one place to the next with no time to eat.
What must-have do you keep in your car?